Ark player feedback

I will try this. Before when my screen went off the music kept playing. But would stop after a bit 5 minutes.

It seems to work keeping the page open

That was my experience too using Google Chrome on a different Android phone. Thanks for confirming.

Not sure what to do about it yet.

Right on. Guess I just gotta change my settings to keep the display on.

I tried with the Samsung web browser and it keeps on playing even tho the screen goes off, been playingfor almost 20 minutes now. Maybe its just something with the google?

That’s not acceptable even as a temporary workaround.

Good to know. That’s a better workaround for a Samsung device but we still have to find out how to make it work in Google Chrome. I mean, this is basically a bug in our player software.

Very likely. But it may be different on iOS.

1 Like

Now It is timing out about 5 minutes after the screen closes in the Samsung internet browser.

We were trying to use CSS to style the ARK player different on our Schedule Page than it looks on a Show Detail page to help our users understand and find it. For example:

A user first views our Schedule Page (as an iFrame) and then clicks into a Show Detail page so there really isn’t any opportunity to change bodyclass=. What I noticed is that there’s no difference at all in the HTML markup that encompasses the ARK player on the Schedule Page vs a Show Detail Page and this is true all the way up to the opening html tag. Is there anyway we could add a CSS class somewhere up the chain (like on the body) that would make it easier to target styling one vs the other?

Thanks and so far the player has been great!

Hi @toigo. Your right. There’s nothing to use in a selector that’s different between these pages.

How about another class name on the <body> tag?

The class would depends on the kind of page displayed, i.e. show, dj, calendar, landing. It would therefore correspond to the part of the URL that follows /WOWD/.

Btw, did you take a look at the custom layout feature? I like it better than iframes. Take a look at testradio.org. It’s easy to experiment with it. Save your layout in Spinitron with a stylesheet and activate it by adding ?layout=1 to the URL. Nobody will see it without that query param.

Hi Tom,

The additional class you mentioned adding in the body tag would be perfect and take care of our needs. If you can go ahead and implement that it would be great.

I have looked at the custom layout integration which definitely would give us more options, but I’m trying to set our station up with a very easy to maintain integration without relying too much on tech folks like me so we’re going to stick with the iFrames now and then just styling them via CSS.

Thanks for your help and the player has been great and it’s really nice not having to integrate another vendor anymore or spin up a crazy home grown solution for archiving :+1:

Hi Tom,

Would you be able to make the change I mentioned with the unique body class for the different types of pages? For some context, we want to add some styling to the ARK player that’s different on the different pages to help our listeners understand how to use it on the various pages. Thanks again for setting this up and the player works great.

Matt

That’s done now. Check it out.

Thanks Tom! I see the added classes and this should give us what we need.

Hi Tom,

KCSM archives don’t seem to be recording right now. I sent you the stream URLs in an email. Let me know if you need anything else.

Rene Renard

When I went to investigate the problem yesterday, I found that the ffmpeg process for KCSM was running but not writing any archive files. I don’t know what caused that. Part of my job now is to figure out how to monitor the processes so as to understand these failure modes and either prevent them or automatically recover from them.

A little problem with WOWD/Takoma Radio archives. We’re noticing that during some of our archived episodes, there are 2-3 minute drop-outs … For example, on my own Tuesday Morning Mix (Nov. 10), this happens at about 8:10 AM. The song I’m playing “18 With a Bullet” ends abruptly … my entire mic break is missing … and it jumps into the middle of the next song (“At Seventeen”).

Another programmer discovered a similar glitch on her Nov. 10 Blues Come Calling. It happened twice during her 2-hour show. First at around 6:49 pm at the end of the Meade Lux Lewis song it skipped the next song by Archie Edwards and jumped to the middle of the following song by Louisiana Red. And around 7:20 pm - it skips from near the end of the second Blind Willie McTell song (Wee Midnight Hours) to the middle of the second Barbecue Bob song (Waycross Georgia), completely skipping My Mistake Blues.

Yet another programmer notes that the first song from her Nov. 8 Night Ride Home is completely missing. She played a Prince song to open the show at 8:00 PM but the archived episode starts a few minutes late, during her first mic break.

When we previously had a somewhat similar glitch, you thought it might have to do with our sending you an AAC stream rather than an mp3 stream as the other beta-testing stations are doing. Could that be the problem here as well?

If this is not easily fixable, I will ask my IT guys to switch our feed to you, we could send you an mp3 feed as we used to do for Radio Free America.

Sorry to be messenger bearing news of a bug, but …!

Our IT guy Matt Toigo notes that we have our mp3 stream running (the one we used to send to RFA), so all you’d have to do is use this URL – https://live2.takomaradio.org/stream-mp3 – instead of the ACC one you currently use. (Let us know if we’d have to do anything on our end.)
-Steve H.

I think I identified the problem, @Steve_from_WOWD, and added a fix to prevent it happening again. I try to monitor it for the next few days. Let me know if it recurs.

In addition, I attempted to fix the problem in the existing archives. Separate fix for the prior effects of the bug.

I can’t get the ark player to play on either of m;y two browsers, vivaldi or chrome. it used to work fine. Java is enabled in both. It flashes with no info and just hangs. I hadn’t tried it in a while so I don’t know how long this has been an issue.

-Judy

See this?