SoundExchange: CRB

Noncommercial Statutory (CRB)

NOTE : SoundExchange established an online portal to ease the submission of payments, Statement of Accounts and Reports of Use. To register, send an email to their Licensee Relations. For more details, check out SoundExchange’s site for Noncommercial Webcaster


  • Any noncommercial entity

Register with Copyright Office

Annual filing with SoundExchange

Use the Minimum Fee Statement of Account (SOA) form by Jan 31 (or within 30 days of starting webcasting)

  • To elect for Noncommercial Webcaster (CRB)
  • To pay the $1000 annual fee

Annual minimum fee

  • $1000
  • Covers up to 218 average number of simultaneous listeners (159,140 monthly ATH)
  • Pay by Jan 31 or within 45 days of starting service
  • Submit payment with a Minimum Fee Statement of Account form

Excess fees

If audience size exceeds the threshold of 159,140 monthly ATH (218 average number of simultaneous listeners) then you pay excess fees of (for current year) $0.0021 per performance or approximately $18.396 monthly for each increment in average audience size over 218.

Monthly Statement of Account

Every month, submit a Monthly Statement of Account within 45 days after the end of that month. Include excess fee if you owe any.

Reports of Use

If you are under the minimum fee threshold of 159,140 monthly ATH (218 listeners average)

  • Report quarterly covering two weeks of the quarter (sample reports)
  • Report using SX forms or a service like Spinitron
  • Due within 45 days of the end of the quarter

Reports of Use include, for each track used

  • Track name
  • Artist name
  • ISRC, or if unavailable, the combination of both the album name, and the record label
  • Audience measurement. Each track must have its number of performances (ATP), or, if you cannot provide ATP
    • Your ATH for the report period
    • Your station or channel name(s)
    • Play frequency: the number of times you played the track in the report period

If you exceed the threshold, you have to report monthly on every track you play (census reports) and you must include ATP.