NOTE : SoundExchange established an online portal to ease the submission of payments, Statement of Accounts and Reports of Use. To register, send an email to their Licensee Relations. For more details, check out SoundExchange’s site for Noncommercial Educational Webcaster
You must be all of
- Attached to a USA accredited school or college
- Not a “public broadcaster” qualified for CPB funds
- “Substantially” student staffed
- Register with the copyright office as a webcaster
- One time only — not annual
- Use form: Notice of Use of Sound Recordings under Statutory License
- $50 filing fee
Use the Minimum Fee Statement of Account (SOA) form by February 1
- To elect as a Noncommercial Educational webcaster
- To pay the annual fee
- 2021: $550 / 2022: $600 / 2023: $650 / 2024: $650 / 2025: $750
- Covers up to 218 average number of simultaneous listeners (159,140 monthly ATH)
- Pay by February 1
- Use Minimum Fee Statement of Account (SOA)
- Minimum Fee SOA form explains how to file
If audience size exceeds the threshold of 159,140 monthly ATH (218 average number of simultaneous listeners) then you pay excess fees of (for current year) $0.0021 per excess performance or approximately $18.396 monthly for each increment in average audience size over 218.
Submit a Monthly Statement of Account within 45 days after the end of that month. Include excess fee if you owe any.
If not using the reporting waiver (below) but under the minimum fee threshold of 159,140 monthly ATH (218 listeners average)
- Report annually covering two weeks sample periods of each calendar quarter (sample reports)
- Report using SX forms or a service like Spinitron
- Due by Jan 31 of subsequent year
Reports of Use include, for each track used
- Track name
- Artist name
- ISRC, or if unavailable, the combination of both the album name, and the record label
- Audience measurement. Actual total performances (ATP) is encouraged or, if you cannot provide ATP
- Your ATH for the report period
- Your station or channel name(s)
- Play frequency: the number of times you played the track in the report period
If you exceed the threshold you must transition to the Statutory License (CRB) and report monthly on every track you play (census reports) and you must include ATP.
Spinitron stations can email their Reports of Use directly from Spinitron to SX.
If your monthly ATH is below 80,000 (109 average number of simultaneous listeners) then you can use the reporting waiver
- Pay an additional $100 annual fee
- No quarterly Reports of Use.
- Option is in Minimum Fee SOA form