Can non-music items show in NOW Playing

What does Radio Rethink have to do to have that work in their player?

1 Like

Hi Arbie,

The Radio Rethink player uses our API to get spin metdata. At present the API does not have an endpoint for getting non-music items.

3 months later and checking on this.
We have one News program, The Grit, I encouraged to use non-music but didnā€™t realize cascading effect to the archive playlist on our App which may be something with Public Media App aka Skyblue Technologies, similar to comment with Radio ReThink. They may have only API as well.

This came up again with the News Director today, but I had not quite understood in past where the issue was with the description of the playlist and access to users. Our News Team creates very local segments and programming which apparently are not easily accessible to listeners. I just tried another test with non-music item for SoundBeat at 11:31am. It didnā€™t show up on the widget or the app. Looking like Iā€™m not quite adding in the new non-music feature with iframe or java correctly.

Gonna try a few things, contact our campus IT Services, but still curious why not getting non-music with archive playlist for APPā€¦which is really question for Public Media App and will let you know if I find out anything.

thanks for the support with this request. and about the API with Radio REthink. Iā€™m pretty sure we have API with Public Media App, but donā€™t know if they can fix.

and I guess my other thought isā€¦why am I going down a spiral of non-music and music item entry? Music Fields are limited to 255 characters. Non-music items allow A LOT MORE possibilities for listeners and users of the website or App. Iā€™m not sure what is better when considering the cascading information to the App or other devices.

What do I tell our News Department? How do I teach them best practice so our listeners can get ease of accessibility to the program or news segment?

Does only using the Music Fields detrimentally affect our station legal policies for playlist creation and Sound Exchange Reporting?
Thanks for the support with these requests and comments.

G

We donā€™t like to put text that is not the name of an artist into an artist name field. It has all kind of confusing effects. It may have legal implications but I wouldnā€™t worry about that if I were you because SoundExchange simply filters out stuff it doesnā€™t recognize. Principally itā€™s because we donā€™t want stuff like this

Artist: Fred Smith discusses community policing with Barton city councilor June Jones

What to tell your news people is up to you and should take some thinking. You can design the Non-Music Types in Spinitron and that design affects the forms that users get in the playlist-entry worksheet. Perhaps we should chat about these matters on the phone.

1 Like

Remember, all we have done here is add non-music items to the Now Playing Widget. We have not yet made an API end-point for fetching non-music items.

We changed Spinitron so that playlist with non-music items are displayed, even future ones with no spins in them, so listeners can navigate to them and listen to the archive like that. In the Public Media Apps app that should work too. So I think hosts of non-music shows should always at least create a playlist for each episode. That should provide navigation to the archive in both Spinitron and the Public Media Apps app. It would be nice for listeners if DJs also add an episode name and/or description and perhaps at least one non-music item to the playlist. For news programs you can do this in advance and check the display advance playlist checkbox and then listeners can see whatā€™s coming up. Isnā€™t that nice?

1 Like

Good day and thanks for the comments and support for the non-music items listed with the display widgets. Right now, our music programming has ended for overnights and we go into news programming from 5am to 12noon. Using non-music items there is no change to the display for the next 7 hours, and weā€™ll see the last song played at 5am until 12noon, unless a music item comes up.

Thank you for creating the NowPlaying widget, but I must not have it entered correctly into the code since the non-music items are not displayed in NowPlaying at kbcs.fm .

Without the non-music items able to be displayed our news program listeners will not receive any display information during the news shows and the last music song played is viewed on the display then for 7hours. This is not helpful to our listeners. How can we provide this display information to benefit the exchange of information to our listeners?

Is there something Public Media App can help assist with this feature? Iā€™m just getting back to my work schedule this week and will check in later today. thank you for all you are doing with Spinitron. take care

I actually just manually entered or station ID in the music fields so that would be displayed through the next 7 hours at least. thanks take care G

Once you have the display of non-music items working on the web then your programmers can create non-music items in Spinitron playlists to control that display. Then itā€™s up to you to train them all so well that they create the items and control the display so well that you and your listeners are satisfied :P

Youā€™re probably the first station to enable non-music items in the now playing widget so we may need to fix something(s) based on your feedback before weā€™re all satisfied with it.

1 Like

Thanks Tom, trying the iframe / java addition to the web site today.

1 Like