Auto music recog sometimes thinks song and release are the same

I have noticed that in the last few months Spinitron auto music recognition sometimes gets confused and thinks the name of the album (release) is the same as the song. Why is this happening?

Hi Alan, thanks for joining the forum.

Idk. I would need to look at the specific examples in question. But I can hazard a guess: singles.

Automatic music recognition uses psycho-acoustic fingerprints. It’s based on models of what/how we hear, not on codes hidden in the music. The fingerprint should be the same no matter the format, be it vinyl, CD, cassette, MP3, etc. And it should work the same no matter what music comes before or after, indeed it should work on any modest segment of the recording (10 or 20 seconds).

Let’s say the fingerprint correctly identifies a song. What happens next? If that recording of the song has been released only once then clearly we can infer the release. But what if it was released first as a popular single or in an EP and then later in a similarly popular album? Idk.

The recognition service is provided by a company called ACR Cloud. How their system works to choose a release given a confident hit on only one song is a mystery to me. That strikes me as a tricky problem. It’s a FAQ for us so I imagine it is also for them. Maybe @Peng_from_ACRCloud can help us.