Ark player feedback

hi! ark player usually works fairly well for me. i listen to shows on kusp via google chrome. the episode of outfront outback on 12/23/21 keeps going out. refreshing brings me back to the station schedule. restarting my network works sometimes works but i can only go back to the 15 minute section before or after,which is annoying. thanks for being here,but please try to make this better.

1 Like

I believe there was another AWS (Amazon Web Services) outage 12/23. Maybe that affected show archiving.

Also I think the 15 minute increments are required in order to be in compliance with DMCA rules (Digital Millennium Copyright Act). Thatā€™s also why you canā€™t fast-forward or rewind for example, and limits archives to 2 weeks.

Someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

I have been listening to KNON for over a year and it has worked very well. But in the last 3-4 weeks, the playback just freezes once or twice per two-hour show. It always happens at a five-minute mark, for example 7:05:00 or 8:55:00. Occasionally it will be one second before the five-minute mark, such as 7:09:59. All I can do is stop the playback and move ahead to the next 15-minute interval to continue listening, but it means I have missed anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes in a two-hour show. I have tried it on two different PCs, with Chrome and Edge for browsers and the result is the same. Anyone else seeing this?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a problem with KNONā€™s stream specifically on iOS. I suspect the very particular stream encoding KNON uses (MP3 mono and 22050 kHz sample rate) is not supported by Appleā€™s HLS implementation in iOS. Weā€™re talking to KNON about how to change that. Weā€™re not set up to trans-code at present but thatā€™s an option.

Iā€™m seeing the same problem while listening to KCSM. It started in mid-December.

2 Likes

Hi @DaveD thanks for joining the forum.

I donā€™t experience any problems with KCSMā€™s archive like I did with KNON. Can you please confirm:

• Date and time of a recording you want to play that doesnā€™t work
  • What do you experience?
  • Device (e.g. iPhone) and browser (e.g. Safari or Google Chrome)

Hi @paulhastheblues

Yesterday morning I set up trans-coding to AAC of KNONā€™s webcast for the archive. I am now able to listen to programs archived since noon yesterday (Tue Jan 4) on iOS while the same playback problem for older programs persists.

Could you confirm?

I had the problem yesterday. I was listening to the Midday Jazz program. The playback stopped many times. I am using a Chrome browser on a laptop running Windows 10. Sometimes, I can click the play/pause button and the playback will restart where it stopped. Other times it restarts at the beginning of when I first started the playback. Other times it does nothing and I have to refresh the page and start it again.

Dave

1 Like

I also had the problem this morning listenting to the Morning Cup Of Jazz program on KCSM. I start listening to the program on Spinitron while the program is still on the air. The on-air program starts at 7 my time, and I start listening to the program on Spinitron at 8 my time. The 7 oā€™clock hour is available by 8, so I basically can hear the entire program just an hour delayed.

Thanks for posting Dave. There are other KCSM listeners with similar issues now.

Stopped at 2:04:59. Windows 10 Chrome Version 96.0.4664.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Possible clue hereā€¦ Seemed to play fine using Firefox for me. Another listener reported stream stopped using Chrome and Edge browsers at same spot.

I just listened to KNONā€™s Tuesday (Jan 4) night show (6:00 to 8:00 Central) and had no problems. I hope that will be the case from now on! Thank you!

Note: You mention iOS, but I have been using Chrome on Windows 10.

1 Like

Glad to hear it, @paulhastheblues. Please check back here some time in the future to let us know how it goes.

1 Like

KCSM, 1/2/2022 2pm plays through to 2:10 on Windows 10 in Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Google Chrome.

Just tried again on Chrome. Stopped in the same place. Here is the result.

A listener pointed out to me the github widget works fine. I tried on Chrome. Yes, it does:

The issue of the archive freezing at 4:59 seems to be hit or miss. For me, it freezes on all of my devices using all search engines including Firefox, Edge, Chrome. It also skips occasionally. Please donā€™t think this issue is fixed or not important. It is not fixed and it is an important tool for listeners of the station. Thanks

The issue of the archive freezing at 4:59 seems to be hit or miss. For me, it freezes on all of my devices using all search engines including Firefox, Edge, Chrome. It also skips occasionally. Please donā€™t think this issue is fixed or not important. It is not fixed and it is an important tool for listeners of the station. Thanks

If you are using the widget from Github on your own web site then you need to update to the latest version. The only version to use is 4.1.2.